Squashfs over UBI

Saurabh Jain saurabh at thinvent.in
Sun Jan 24 14:16:00 EST 2010

Hi!

I've been trying to get squashfs working on a new board with NAND
flash. However, the mtd of the mtdblock I am using contains bad
blocks. When I dd in the squashfs file system, the kernel throws
end_request, nand_erase_nand and mtdblock errors.

I therefore decided to use squashfs over UBI. I saw this discussed in
a couple of places on the web. However, the /dev/ubi0 device created
by ubiattach is a character device. I can't just dd my squashfs into
it. If I create a UBIFS over this /dev/ubi0, and then put my squashfs
into it, that works, but now I've got "double compression", something
I don't want on an embedded system.

Is it possible to get squashfs to use the bad block avoidance features
of UBI, without using UBIFS?

Regards,
Saurabh

http://www.thinvent.in