ubifs mount failure upon power cycle

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:32:44 EST 2010

Hello,

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 10:28 -0800, sid at ics.uci.edu wrote:
> I'm trying to use UBIFS (linux 2.6.31) on a MIPS based platform, 128 MB
> SLC (2k page) NAND flash as rootfs. After erasing the flash and mounting
> ubifs as rootfs, I do a large amount of file copies from NFS. However, if
> there is an abrupt power cycle, upon reboot the rootfs mount fails with
> the following error messages:
>
> UBIFS: recovery needed
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scan: corrupt empty space at LEB 6:43008
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scanned_corruption: corruption at LEB 6:43008
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scan: LEB 6 scanning failed
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_recover_leb: corrupt empty space LEB 6:24576,
> corruption starts at 18432
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scanned_corruption: corruption at LEB 6:18432
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_recover_leb: LEB 6 scanning failed
> VFS: Cannot open root device "ubi0:rootfs" or unknown-block(8,1)
>
> I searched the list for similar messages. There was a similar thread
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2009-April/025229.html)
> for NOR flash. However, the fixes to recovery.c from that thread are
> already in the current sources.
>
> Any suggestions/pointers on how to debug/fix would be greatly appreciated.

No idea why this could happen. Did you try do narrow down the problem to
a simpler use-case?

That thread was about NOR, that should not happen on NAND. This looks
like you have issues on NAND flash driver or HW level, not in UBI/UBIFS.

Please, start from running MTD tests and validate you NAND:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/general.html#L_mtd_tests

And next time please try to follow these bug-report suggestions:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)