Static UBI volumes and ubiupdatevol ?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:05:25 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 16:02 +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:

> >> It would be nice to use ubiupdatevol to do this, but it won't let me do
> >> that if the volume is mounted (naturally). I don't know if this is
> >> something that is enforced by ubiupdatevol or ubi. I would assume the
> >> latter but I haven't checked the code.
> >>
> >> Of course I could always write my own "ubiupdatevol" to deal with this but
> >> it's always nice to use existing and supported tools.
> >
> > This is UBI - it does not allow updating if someone keeps the volume
> > open. When UBI is mounted, it keeps the volume open. It closes the
> > volume when unmounted.
>
> Yes, it make definitely makes sense to have it work this way to avoid
> problems.
>
> > It looks error-prone to allow updating while there are users, from UBI
> > POW, I think.
>
> I agree. It just happens to be the way our firmware update process works
> currently ... :-)
>
> > And I cannot think of a nice way of doing this.
> >
> > Why can't you just
> > 1. lazily unmount UBIFS
> > 2. find all users of UBIFS and kill them
> > 3. this will make UBIFS finally unmount
> > 4. you safely update the UBI volume
>
> The problem is that in this case it is our root file system which is to be
> reflashed, so we can't just unmount it. I have an idea about using
> pivot_root though, in a similar manner to the way the root file system is
> switched from initrd to disk during an ordinary Linux boot with initrd.
>
> Something like
> 1. Close down everything.
> 2. Create a tmpfs and mount it.
> 3. Copy all necessary binaries and libraries to the tmpfs.
> 4. Use pivot_root to switch root file systems.
> 5. Unmount the original (UBIFS) root file system.
> 6. Rewrite the root file system using ubiupdatevol.
> 7. Reboot.
>
> Right now I'm stumped at how to restart init in order for it to relase its
> stdin,stdout and stderr, which still refer to the (old) /dev/console, but
> there must be a solution somehow as the same situation must occur with an
> ordinary (initrd) kernel booting.

Well, I guess it is possible to teach UBI to do roughly something like
this:

1. block all I/O from upper layers (UBIFS)
2. flush the background works queue, i.e., finish all the pending
srubbings, etc.
3. do the volume update, even though there are users, but they are
blocked.

After this there is no way back, so the users are blocked forever. This
should be interruptable blocking, so users should either interrupt, or
you should reboot.

Should not be too difficult to do, but not sure how upstreamable that
would be, but you can try, why not?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)