bud_replay size question

Steve Iribarne siribarne at grid-net.com
Wed Dec 1 13:20:32 EST 2010

Hi List.

We had a problem here in our released product where we would get the
dreaded "Error reading superblock!".

First some stats:

ARM processor (iMX25)
U-Boot version (U-Boot 2009.06-rc2-svn3608)  <- I know this is
autogenerated but what the heck...

I still don't know how to reproduce the problem but I know what is
causing the issue.

The issue is that ubifs_get_sb fails.  The reason it fails is that
insert_node (u-boot/fs/ubifs/replay.c) runs out of memory.  So I can fix
the problem by giving u-boot more space for malloc (increase the size of
CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN)

This is all fine and dandy but I really don't like updating the bootrom
in the field.  So I'm trying to get this value correct.

I have approx. 58MB to play with here.

Our file system lives on a NAND flash that is 256MB total but I have it
broken up into 3 partitions.
1 is 10MiB and the other two (the ones that really hold most of the
data) have 100MiB each.

What I'm trying to determine is how to figure out how big the replay_bud
LEB list can get based on my configuration.  Is there such a thing or am
I just dreaming?

Thanks.
-stv

--