error!: "/dev/ubi0" is not a character device ?!?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:34:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 13:27 +0200, Arno Steffen wrote:
> Sorry for delay, have been out of office.
> Haven't found neither /etc/udev nor /lib/udev on my embedded system.
> udev is not mention in dmesg | grep udev
> But after creating /etc/udev/rules/10-udev.rules I could see this in
>  cat /dev/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
> As I don't have any idea what rule I have to write in I left it blank.
> So no success with this method

OK, anyway, I believe this is not related to UBI. I gave you several
other ideas, cannot help more than that.

> ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -N test -m
> Set volume size to 9805824UBI error: ubi_io_write: error -5 while
> writing 512 bytes to PEB 81:512, written 0 bytes
>
> UBI warning: ubi_eba_write_leb: failed to write VID header to LEB
> 2147479551:0, PEB 81

This is independent problem, I think. Your driver returns EIO when UBI
writes to the flash. Looks like you have issues in the driver or HW
level.

Did you run mtd tests? Please run and validate your flash. Take a look
here, for reference:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport

--
Best Regards,