How to stop mtd char device generating ECC on writes?

Jon Povey Jon.Povey at racelogic.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 05:30:28 EDT 2010

I am trying to write a binary image to NAND flash using nandwrite on TI DaVinci DM355. For historical reasons involving badly-written ROM bootloaders, I want to write the "legacy" OOB format for one area of flash (the UBL, second-stage bootloader).

For reference the legacy layout of a 2KB flash page is
  4x (512B data followed by 16B OOB (6 spare then 10 ECC)).

The "new" format used by u-boot, MTD etc. is
  2KB data followed by 64B OOB (24 spare then 40 ECC).

I can get a bootloader image with the needed (legacy) OOB and ECC using
  nanddump -f ubl0.dump -s 0x20000 -l 0x8000 -n /dev/mtd0

But I can't seem to write it back properly using nandwrite.
Testing on another partition mtd6, If I do this:
  nandwrite -r -s 0x20000 /dev/mtd6 ubl0.dump
then it seems my 64 bytes of "OOB" are skipped and I get a generated 24 bytes of 0xFF spare and 40 bytes of generated ECC.

If I use --noecc --oob instead of -r, it looks like my 64 bytes of "OOB" does get written, but then hardware ECC is getting written OVER THE TOP, i.e. the last 40 bytes have various bits 0 that should be 1 (but no 1s that should be 0)

I am looking through the nandwrite and drivers/mtd sources at the moment, but would love to get a clue if someone can tell me

- Does MTD support what I'm trying to do from userland?

- If yes, could this be a bug in the DaVinci NAND driver?

- Or, is nandwrite supposed to support this? or do I need to modify it?

Thanks folks,

--
Jon Povey
jon.povey at racelogic.co.uk

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719 .
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks, MK18 1TB .

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network