UBIFS and MLC NAND Flash

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 04:22:41 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 12:57 -0400, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few questions regarding this topic.
>
> 1. The UBIFS FAQ has a summary of the state of the support for MLC NAND
> flash here:
>
>   http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_ubifs_mlc
>
> The question is, is this still the case? Does the FAQ reflect the
> current state of affairs?

I think so.

> 2. I have several boards with MLC NAND flash running the Linux kernel
> 2.6.29 and UBIFS. I am seeing a fairly large rate of file "corruption"
> errors, files that all of a sudden become unreadable. Curiously enough,
> they have been read-only files in all cases, program executables and
> shared libraries.

Hmm. Do you do unclean power cuts?

> Would upgrading to a more recent kernel, or back porting the latest
> UBIFS code, help? Shall I expect better support for MLC NAND flash in
> the latest UBIFS code?

You did not specify whether you pulled the ubifs-v2.6.29.git tree. If
you did this, then your UBI/UBIFS should be the same as in the latest
kernels. Please, do this, although this will probably not solve your
corruption problems, but you'll have other bug-fixes we have made since
2.6.29 times.

Please, take a look here as well:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport

Did you run MTD tests? If no, run them. You may have issues on driver/HW
levels.

Vs. "Shall I expect better support" - not as far as I know, because I
have not heard if anyone is working on this. But you could do that and
contribute.

> 3. I am also seeing other errors where it is the U-Boot or the Kernel
> partitions that become corrupted. UBIFS is not involved there directly
> since these partitions are at the mtd level and outside the UBI layer.
>
> More specifically, my flash is partitioned as mtd0, mtd1, mtd2, mtd3,
> mtd4. Only mtd4 has UBI/UBIFS on top. Is it possible that some flash
> handling problems in UBIFS (mtd4) "spill over" other non-UBIFS mtd
> partitions?

May be. Start with validating your MTD driver using MTD tests. This may
help you to narrow down the problem.

> 4. Other than minimizing flash writes, is there any other suggestion on
> what to do to improve on the failure rate I see in the file system?

Not sure. You should carefully investigate you problems and find out the
nature of the failures, and then we can discuss that.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)