BUG: physmap modprobe & rmmod

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Apr 2 18:09:26 EDT 2010

On 02.04.2010 23:47, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:40:58 -0700 Randy Dunlap wrote:
>

>> 2.6.34-rc2 kernel:
>>
>> Boot up on a common PC, then: modprobe physmap ; rmmod physmap
>> and bang.
>>
> This is with close to an allmodconfig on x86_64, including:
>
> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP=m
> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_COMPAT=y
> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_START=0x8000000
> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_LEN=0
> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_BANKWIDTH=2

Forgive me if this sounds weird, but I was under the impression that
most people who want to reflash their BIOS on x86 (most prominent
physmap usecase on x86) are using a pure userspace solution with
flashrom <http://www.flashrom.org/> nowadays.

flashrom has the advantage of not needing a kernel recompile if you want
support for new chips/chipsets. flashrom doesn't use MTD and accesses
/dev/mem instead. AFAIK flashrom supports BIOS/EFI/... flashing on all
x86 chipsets which are supported by MTD, and on a few other x86 chipsets
(and network/storage/graphics cards) which are not supported by MTD.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel