Ideal NAND flashes for JFFS2 or YAFFS

Corentin Chary corentin.chary at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 05:28:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Joakim
Tjernlund<joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se> wrote:
> Bill Gatliff <bgat at billgatliff.com> wrote on 08/09/2009 18:21:58:
>>
>> Justin Treon wrote:
>> > For NAND I think there is a simple flow chart to pick your filing system.
>> >
>> > Do you have a partition bigger than 256 MBytes?
>
> Oh yes, probably 512MB-1GB, possibly more
>
>> > If YES: Use UBIFS (@128 MB you can argue the point)
>> > If NO: Do you have a LOT of RAM?
>> >    If YES: Use YAFFS2 (It is fast, but RAM hungry)
>
> This is news to me. I always had the impression that JFFS2 needed
> more RAM.
>
>> >    If NO: Use JFFS2
>> >

>> With 128MB and/or 1GB partitions, does YAFFS2 use more memory than
>> UBIFS?  It does seem to me that YAFFS2 mounts a tad faster, though I
>> haven't broken out the stopwatch or anything (yet).

Hi,

First memory usage as nothing to do with mount time.

UBIFS mount time is small, but UBI scan can take some time (see
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_scalability ).
If you use YAFFS2 with checkpoints, after a clean unmount, I believe
that mouting can be faster than UBI+UBIFS.
But it will depend how many dir/files you have. YAFFS2 mount time will
increase lineary with the number of objects stored.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net