4GiB support and huge block (4K) page support

Kevin Wells kevin.wells at nxp.com
Fri Sep 4 19:18:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to the list, but have been looking at the NAND and MTD code for a while...

I have a 4G Micron FLASH organized as 8192 blocks * 128 pages * 4096/bytes per page (+218 spare bytes/page).

I've temporarily added an entry to nand_ids.c to use this device...
{"NAND 4GiB 3,3v 8-bit", 0xD7, 4096, 4096, (512 * 1024), LP_OPTIONS}

I've heard tell of some people having 4G NAND devices working under MTD 2.6.28, but there are overflows in the
nand_base, nand_bbt, and some of the MTD code when I used 4G. I looked at the 2.6.30 code and things
look better, but still not quite right. I've been chaning the code to support 4G, but when I fix something in
one area, something further up in the code still needs some work.

I guess the question is am I fighting an uphill battle trying to get this to work and has this been done by
someone else before? Are there currently 4G+ NAND devices to work correctly under MTD? Would it make sense
to update the kernel version to 2.6.30 to get this needed support?

thanks much!
Kevin Wells
NXP Semiconductors