Load UBI faster

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu May 7 01:22:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 09:26 +0200, simon polette wrote:
> I'm trying to improve boot time on a at91sam9261ek board. I boot on
> nand flash with ubifs. It take about 400ms to load ubi and ubifs.
> Do you know if fastboot technology, which consist in loading drivers
> asynchronously, is conceivable with UBI ?
> Thanks for your help.

Fastbood is applicable in the situation when initialization
is mostly about sleeping and waiting for hw. In case of UBI,
it reads from flash and calculates CRC. The reading from NAND
is usuall synchronous, so this process takes 100% of your CPU.

One way to optimize this a little would be to use on-flash
BBT. Usually the nand core scans full NAND to find bad blocks.
With on-flash BBT this could be avoided. But probably this
would not give you much.

How big is your NAND?

--
Best regards,