ubifs version 1 compatibility

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Tue Mar 31 02:23:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 00:15 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 02:12:05PM +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

> > > Well I have these files on embedded devices out in the real world. The
> > > volume is storing user data, so I need to do this change in-place.
> >
> > Let me make sure I understand the need.
> >
> > So you have devises with v1 format in the wild. You want to upgrade
> > those devices. While upgrading, you will re-write some UBI volumes, but
> > after upgrade the user-data volume should contains exactly the same data
> > as before the upgrade, right?
>
> Yes, that's what I need.

I see. Well, because most of the UBIFS functionality is in the
kernel, it might probably be possible to teach the kernel UBIFS
implementation to automatically re-format the file-system if it
finds v.1 layout. However, this is not a very simple task, and
I am not sure I have time to implement this, sorry :-(

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)