ubifs version 1 compatibility

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu Mar 26 02:02:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 16:15 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Hi Artem and all,
>
> I'm upgrading my embedded system which uses UBIFS from 2.6.24 (with a
> slightly updated ubifs) to 2.6.29.
>
> I notice that the new kernel won't read my existing file systems as it
> says they are too old - version 1. The code checks for version 3 or 4 I
> see.

Hmm, you use version 1 which has been there _before_ UBIFS went to
mainline. We really did not expect this.

> My application firmware is generated with mkfs.ubifs and programmed via
> ubiupdatevol, but the boot loader on my devices is based on the older
> kernel and won't be able to read it. And I have read-write file systems
> that will be formatted with the old version too.

I need to take a closer look and realize what were the changes between
v1 and v3 and if it is possible to make current UBIFS support it. Then
we could teach mkfs.ubifs generate version 1 FSes, and you could keep
using v1. But we need some time to investigate how feasible is this.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)