MLC Support in JFFS2

apgmoorthy moorthy.apg at samsung.com
Mon Jun 22 09:33:46 EDT 2009

Hi Artem ,

On Monday, June 22, 2009 1:18 PM Artem Bityutskiy wrote :

>> Currenlty , Is there a way to use JFFS2 with MLC Memories ?
>>
>> If not , Felt that any one of the following patch can be of use
>>
>> 1. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2007-December/020047.html
>>           - Which removes the Clean Marker.
>>
>> 2. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2008-September/023101.html
>>    http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2008-September/023044.html
>>           - Leaving 1page/Block , for Clean Marker.
>>
>> or some other solution, which solves the standoff.
>>
>> Without MLC Support , Flex-OneNAND is unsuable with JFFS2.

>Is JFFS2 usable with Flex-OneNAND by design? I thought it would have to be able to handle paired pages to become MLC-compatible. Does it do that?

Yes it do that .
There are two things in Handling MLCs
1.Paired Page Handling
This is done in Flex-OneNAND Driver.
flexonenand_lsb_page_recovery will handle that in MLC area.

2.NOP==1
This scenario has to be dealt in synchronization with JFFS2.
This is what i asked about.
Pathces , in the links(above)are addressing this.

With Regards
 Moorthy