mtd nand issue

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Jan 28 07:30:51 EST 2009

syed riyaz schrieb:
> Hi
Hi!

> I use a 2K page size 1 GB nand chip on a mx31 ads basd board. At
redboot level, read and write happpen perfectly. Even in kernel,
flash_eraseall is fine. Then i did nanddump -p and saw 0xff on all
addresses. So i believe the nand driver is fine.I am trying to use a
nand partition as my rootfilesystem. I have partioned nand into 4 mtd
blocks. 60 MB for the first 3 and and the remaining 820 in the 4th
block. I created a 8 MB jffs2 file system named rootfs.jffs2 with the
proper erase size. Wrote to mtd block 6 usingnandwrite /dev/mtd/6
rootfs.jffs2When linux mounted this block, i went in fine for the first
time. But subsequent booting returned lot of CRC errors until the file
system was hopelessly currupted. Any help appreciated.The messages are
likemtd->read:0x100 bytes from block 0 CRC error.I read somewhere that
the factory information about bad blocks is stores in first block and if
erased will lead to errors. Pleas elaborate if you know.Please
>  answer my queries so i understand things a litle better.1) Is it ok to flash a 8 MB image on a 60 MB partion. Are the errors because the remaining partition doesnt match?2) If i specify "root=/dev/mtdblock6" while booting, does the kernel see only mtd7 as available space or will mtd5 and mtd7 and mtd8 will also be available as user space.3)What does nandwrite -a -p mean?

Did you give proper option to mkfs.jffs2 for eraseblockzize and such?
If not, do it - it should improve the situation ;)

>  Thanking you
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de