Some problem in real application

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Tue Jan 13 03:53:28 EST 2009

Hi,

Theoretically, I cannot respond you because of the silly disclamer
you added to the end of your e-mail. However,

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 16:57 +0800, Jacky Lam wrote:
> I use NFTL before. While in production, we use some self-made IO
> programmer to program the NAND flash. We first write the data and ecc
> (in spare area), and then read then back. After verify it with ECC, we
> can tell whether the data is written correctly or not.

Fine. Just do the same with UBI images.

> However, in UBI, it doesn't use spare area and embedded the ECC
> information in main area.

UBI itself does not use OOB. But the NAND driver or NAND controller
may use it to store ECC codes.

>  Will it be difficult to extract the ECC
> information from the read back data in order to do verification?

The ECC verification is done in the driver level. UBI is above the
driver - it asks the driver to read and write NAND pages. And the
driver verifies/calculates ECC codes.

I'm going to update UBI documentation soon and write a little bit more
about what the UBI-aware flasher should do. I'll send you a link later.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)