[patch 0/6] ps3vram driver patches

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jan 8 05:34:25 EST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 January 2009, Geoff Levand wrote:
> > Geert and I were discussing actually removing the direct write to the XDR
> > memory, and so the need for that ioremap, as the mapping is just used in
> > ps3vram_erase(), which seems could be removed.

ps3vram_erase() writes all ones to the memory, as that's what done when
erasing real FLASH. I do not know if the MTD layer can handle it if we don't
"erase" it to ones.

David?

> Ah, I see. I also forgot to mention that the ioremap_flags change should
> only be done for actual memory regions, but *not* for memory mapped I/O
> registers.

This is DDR memory for the RSX.

> > I want to get it converted to a block device, and I will work towards
> > that, but it will take some time.  As it is, it is very useful for typical
> > systems that are running full desktops like gmome or KDE and do a lot of
> > swapping.  Many of the distros now use it, and users want it.
>
> Yes, fine by me.

One disadvantage of this approach is that it makes life more difficult for
distro maintainers: their userland has to support both the MTD and the block
version.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010