3GB limit? *2* GB limit?!

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu Feb 5 04:26:35 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 13:47 -0500, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     ab> MTD user-space interface is 32-bit, and is simited by
>     ab> 2GiB. You have to upgrade it to use larger devices.
>
> I am using mtd-tools from git, pulled a couple days ago.  or thought I
> was.  What do you mean by upgrade?  Do you mean ``redesign the
> interface and rewrite the tools'' or ``use Linux/amd64'' or ``pull
> something else from git''?

Miles,

please, glance at the include/mtd/mtd-abi.h file. This file defines the
interface between user-space applications and MTD devices. Notice that
the "size" field in the "struct mtd_info_user" data structure is 32-bit.
So the size of the MTD device is limited by 4GiB. Look at other data
structures and notice a similar thing.

Thus, you have to invent a new user-space interface for MTD. Internally,
it is 64-bit already. You do not have to have amd64. You have to code,
unfortunately.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)