UBI - exclude bootloader blocks from wear levelling

Darwin Rambo drambo at broadcom.com
Wed Dec 23 18:39:52 EST 2009

> Of course it can, assuming it is UBI-aware by itself. For example,
> U-Boot is such a boot loader that can load the U-Boot image itself
> from a UBI partition in NAND.
The bootstrap for portable devices might boot up just thousands of time in product lifetime, and with strong ECC this seems like a reasonable compromise of simplicity vs complexity. Also my simple bootstrap fits within a single block, so wear levelling in my case doesn't make much sense. The strong ECC seems more suitable for this type of situation. Of course, larger u-boot based bootstraps are better candidates for the wear levelling / UBI approach as you suggest.

> Noite that "read-only" is not sufficient. NAND flash will develop
> errors even if you just read it often enough. See for example this
> Micron Application Note:
> http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/nand/tn2917.pdf
Thanks for the excellent link.

Darwin