UBI - exclude bootloader blocks from wear levelling

Darwin Rambo drambo at broadcom.com
Wed Dec 23 12:12:22 EST 2009

I think Lauren must have been referring to a bootloader that lives outside the kernel and file system context. For example, a small, standalone bootloader downloaded from a serial port to it's own partition, would not be known to the kernel, as it is used to launch the kernel or later stage bootloaders. In this case it runs standalone and can't sit on UBI or be launched by a linux app. If this small bootloader was only a block or two in size, and since it is typically burned once for production and then becomes read-only for each bootup after that, wear levelling is not required or possible.

Flash data retention periods are usually specified in years, and flash write/erases are in cycles. MLC and SLC flashes typically mention 10 year lifetimes in their data sheets, and the program/erase cycles are typically 100K-1M for SLC, and 10K-100K for MLC. As such I don't see an issue wrt boot loader integrity on factory burning or years of subsequent bootups.

Hope this helps a bit.

Darwin