Good stress test for UBIFS?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Dec 18 03:00:51 EST 2009

Hi all,

What would be a good stress-test for the whole ubifs stack: ubifs, ubi, mtd,
nand-flash-driver?

I have gone through this:
- Forced to use 2.6.24 which is provided by the chip manufacturer with some
unknown version of mtd/ubi/ubifs, which is not the latest and not the one that
originally shipped with 2.6.24. The git history is gone.
- Used this version for a time when suddenly some boards had a corrupt
filesystem (unreadable /etc).
- Used mtd tests to check hardware and driver, and everything seems fine.
- Updated to latest ubi/ubifs for 2.6.24 from ubifs-v2.6.24.git

And now I need to accomplish two things:

1. Be able come up with a fairly reliable method to reproduce the corruption
on the original version of ubi/ubifs.
2. Check that this problem indeed does not occur on the latest version, and if
it does post a bug report here.

For 1. I am looking for some kind of tool or method to stress-test ubi/ubifs
preferably including also the nand-flash driver and hardware (you never know).

I thought of running something like bonnie++ while power-cycling the board at
random times for a few days, or something similar, but since IMHO this must be
a recurring issue for many here, I'd like to know about what others have come
up with, or if there is some comprehensive stress-test-tool.

Best regards,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.