ubifs mount failure upon power cycle

sid at ics.uci.edu sid at ics.uci.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:28:55 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to use UBIFS (linux 2.6.31) on a MIPS based platform, 128 MB
SLC (2k page) NAND flash as rootfs. After erasing the flash and mounting
ubifs as rootfs, I do a large amount of file copies from NFS. However, if
there is an abrupt power cycle, upon reboot the rootfs mount fails with
the following error messages:

UBIFS: recovery needed
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scan: corrupt empty space at LEB 6:43008
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scanned_corruption: corruption at LEB 6:43008
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scan: LEB 6 scanning failed
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_recover_leb: corrupt empty space LEB 6:24576,
corruption starts at 18432
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_scanned_corruption: corruption at LEB 6:18432
UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_recover_leb: LEB 6 scanning failed
VFS: Cannot open root device "ubi0:rootfs" or unknown-block(8,1)

I searched the list for similar messages. There was a similar thread
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2009-April/025229.html)
for NOR flash. However, the fixes to recovery.c from that thread are
already in the current sources.

Any suggestions/pointers on how to debug/fix would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
-sid