UBIFS on kernel 2.6.24?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 03:41:48 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 17:45 +0100, David Jander wrote:
> I have downloaded those tools, and started playing with them.
> I started with speedtest :-), oobtest, scantest and pagetest. Those al ran
> without problems, but subpagetest stopped with an error:
>
> [...]
> [14083.422527] subpagetest: erasing
> [14083.432654] subpagetest: erased 0
> [14083.815876] subpagetest: erased 256
> [14084.190646] subpagetest: erased 512
> [14084.573346] subpagetest: erased 768
> [14084.956378] subpagetest: erased 1024
> [14085.339424] subpagetest: erased 1280
> [14085.716865] subpagetest: erased 1536
> [14086.099616] subpagetest: erased 1792
> [14086.482645] subpagetest: erased 2048
> [14086.496965] subpagetest: error -5 while erasing EB 2052
> [14086.507507] subpagetest: error -5 occurred
>
> If I repeat this test I get an error on the same EB.
> If I repeat pagetest now, I also get the same error on the same EB.
> If I run flash_eraseall on the device, I get this:
>
> $ flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 3980000 --  5 % complete.
> Skipping bad block at 0x039a0000
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 3f80000 --  6 % complete.
> Skipping bad block at 0x03fa0000
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 10080000 -- 25 % complete.
> /usr/local/sbin/flash_eraseall: /dev/mtd1: MTD Erase failure: Input/output
> error
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 18760000 -- 38 % complete.
> Skipping bad block at 0x18780000
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 3ff60000 -- 99 % complete.
> Skipping bad block at 0x3ff80000
> Skipping bad block at 0x3ffa0000
> Skipping bad block at 0x3ffc0000
> Skipping bad block at 0x3ffe0000
> Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 40000000 -- 100 % complete.
>
> Did this test kill my nand-flash chip?

Probably a bad block, which is normal on NAND. This is one of the
reasons why NAND-aware software is not-so-simple.

I think ubiformat would suggest you to mark this faulty eraseblock as
bad.

> > > But I'd like to know how I can get this version into my kernel. Will
> > > it work if I just copy the relevant files?
> >
> > No. This is git, and what you should do is to merge ubifs-v2.6.24.git to
> > your tree.
>
> I thought so. Well, I guess I'll have to do some more git manual studying
> *sigh*.

'git pull' should do the trick.

> > > Is there a patch against 2.6.24 that I can download somewhere?
> >
> > This is git, and you can create patches yourself. Clone
> > ubifs-v2.6.24.git and do something like:
> >
> > git format-patch v2.6.24
>
> Thanks for the tip, that seems safe to try.

To apply those patches to another tree, you can use 'git am'.

> > You will get all patches. Then you can merge them if you want, but this
> > is a bad idea, IMHO.
>
> Hmmmm.... If you know how to do it the right way with git, why don't you just
> take the little trouble of putting into the web-page? A lot of people would
> learn from it (me included).

It is about git basics, there are many good tutorials. This is just
about doing the basic operation - 'git pull'.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)