Ned. "Can you m

Ginolfi snout at yll.com.hk
Wed Aug 26 06:22:00 EDT 2009

St that we stay together on the job," returned Jimmie. "You may be sure
I shall do that!" came the answer instantly. "I hope the storm
increases!" was Jack's contribution. "Now, gentlemen," announced the
general, "if you are ready to proceed you may accompany this man. He
will direct you to the work." Ned bowed in acknowledgment and the party
turned to accompany the orderly, who appeared in answer to the summons
of his superior. They were led away from the dock at which the
Sturmvogel lay. In a short time they had traversed a goodly distance
toward the mouth of the harbor. Their destination proved to be the
building adjacent to the group of submarine vessels. By inquiries both
direct and indirect Ned and his companions decided that the orderly was
unable to comprehend English, but for the sake of absolute safety they
continued to use the sign language largely in their conversation as they
proceeded. In a short time they had been admitted to the outermost
craft, which lay moored to its fellows. Communication had been
established between the vessels by means of a row of planks laid from
deck to deck. Once inside the submarine the boys made a hurried yet
thorough examination of every part, taking a complete inventory of the
exact state of affairs. Frank and Jimmie managed to overhaul the stores.
Harry and Jack looked over the mechanical equipment. Ned, with the plans
in his hands, went carefully over every detail of the electric system.
"I say, fellows," announced Ned at length, as all the lads met beneath
the hatch, "this wagon is nearly complete. It looks a lot like the
'U-13'!" "That's what it does!" agreed Jimmie. "What more is needed?" "A
few pieces of wire and about an hour's work for me." "Frank and I have
found enough food to last a couple of