jffs2 on a 32k partition.

Manish D manish2312 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:03:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a 32k flash partition that is used with jffs2. (4k * 8
eraseblock). [linux kernel 2.4.32]
Some of the files in this partition, do get updated often and stores
only config files.

Problem i am facing is, I am not able to use more than 10-12k of flash
for data. If I reboot, (let jffs2 run pass1/2), i might be able to add
upto 1k sometimes. But never more than that.

I am not really sure why so much of flash space is not allowed to be
used. I understand 32k is a really small partition for any filesystem,
but understanding jffs2 overheads (approx 200 bytes per file), i am
not sure why i am not able to use rest of the space.
Is gcd thread not freeing up flash space ? or with small number of
eraseblocks wear-levelling.
Any pointers on understanding this would really help. Is there any
other way out ?

I plan to move to raw read-write now without wear-levelling (with a
smarter write algorithm to even out writes to one of 8 blocks).

Would really appreciate inputs and pointers on how i can go about
using jffs2 (disabling gcd / wear levelling ? ) on such a small
partition.

Regards,
-Manish