Determining if the GC is operating on flash

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Sep 24 08:18:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:41:55 -0500
Suresh Rajashekara <suresh at mistralsolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there any conslusive way of knowing if the JFFS2 GC is operating on
> the flash? I want to know that during the bootup. I am using JFFS2 on
> 2.6.16-rc3.

No.

There are two forms of GC in JFFS2.  The first is as-needed.  Which
means that if GC is needed at the time of a process writing to flash,
the GC code will be called on behalf of that process.

The second is the background GC thread, which will do GC if certain
thresholds are reached. This is just an optimization, and the thread can
be killed entirely without effecting overall GC operation.

josh