Erase Block size

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Sep 11 03:41:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Sugathan, Rupesh wrote:

> I have a scenario where I need to deploy the same jffs2 image on two
> flash memory parts, one with a 128KB sector size and the other with
> 256KB sector size.
>
> I read from http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/jffs2.html that
> building the jffs2 image with smaller 'erase block size' should be
> harmless even in the flash with 256KB sector size, although there might
> be some warning messages at mount time. However, the warning messages
> are not desired since this is a production image.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is any utility that can be used to alter the
> erase block size on-the-fly? Or I would greatly appreciate if anyone has
> some other solution to this problem.

I'm not aware of any such utility.

You could always patch the kernel in your production image to avoid the
warnings.

We had a similar situation where we wanted to run the same image on
several NAND flash types with different block sizes. In the end we gave
up, because the issues with managing multiple block sizes, especially
regarding live firmware upgrades, made it not worth while. Instead, we
simply said that changing the flash so that the block/sector size changes
is considered a hardware change and must be handled accordingly (separate
firmware, etc).

/Ricard
    "With Free Software you are employing the best programmers on the planet"