Partitioning NAND flash

Brian Szmyd brian.szmyd at quantum.com
Thu Sep 4 14:49:22 EDT 2008

I am having trouble determining where the partitioning information is
coming from when I boot into linux 2.6.26 for my haleakala reference
board from amcc. When linux boots I receive the following output from
the MTD driver:

fc000000.nor_flash: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank
 Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table at 0x0040
fc000000.nor_flash: CFI does not contain boot bank location. Assuming
top.
number of CFI chips: 1
cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness.
RedBoot partition parsing not available
Creating 5 MTD partitions on "fc000000.nor_flash":
0x00000000-0x001e0000 : "kernel"
0x001e0000-0x00200000 : "dtb"
0x00200000-0x00f60000 : "root"
0x03f60000-0x03fa0000 : "env"
0x03fa0000-0x04000000 : "u-boot"
NDFC NAND Driver initialized. Chip-Rev: 0x00000111
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0x76 (Samsung NAND 64MiB
3,3V 8-bit)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Number of partitions 3
Creating 3 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
0x00000000-0x00060000 : "u-boot"
0x00060000-0x00068000 : "env"
0x00068000-0x04000000 : "content"

My problem is that I want to repartition the NAND flash, but am not sure
where the current partitioning scheme is coming from. My bootargs to the
kernel does not contain an mtdparts section and i don't see any
reference to a "u-boot", "env", "content" partition in the mtd driver
code itself.

I have setup my NOR partitioning by modifying the DTS provided by the
linux source, but there is nothing in there that refers to the NAND
chip. I have tried providing an mtdparts argument to the kernel but this
appears to be a no-op even though the appropriate option in the kernel
is configured.

I'm kind of at a loss after monkeying with this for the last couple
days. Any help or direction to a good source of information would be
greatly appreciated!

Brian Szmyd | brian.szmyd at quantum.com

The information contained in this transmission may be
confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further
distribution of confidential information is not permitted
unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by
Quantum Corporation. Furthermore, Quantum Corporation is not
responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the
substance of this communication or for any delay in its
receipt.