goofy mtd m25p80 patches in GIT ...

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 19 18:35:05 EDT 2008

[resend cc'ing linux-mtd, sorry]

I noticed a couple goofy patches in MTD GIT, while poking around
wondering what happened to some patches that I expected would
already have gotten upstream.  Details below.

- Dave

First:

 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/mtd-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=faff37508a104e9ec5285d5adecaab7e8dde472a

That patch is goofy because the command in question is *NOT* a block
erase command.  It's a chip-erase command ... entirely unlike the
existing *real* block erase commands used in the driver.

Could we get a fix that provides the correct name for the operations?
Having real block commands, and this new thing, is at the very least
confusing...

Second:

 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/mtd-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=75d0ee2202b5740e94e913d8a52f91c6557c4c81

That's just plain wrong ... the original code is correct, but the
patch changed it to be incorrect.  (DMA from the stack is never
legal.)

Just revert this one entirely.