Question on how NAND flash BBT is stored in the chip

Rutger Hofman rutger at cs.vu.nl
Thu Oct 16 10:35:29 EDT 2008

Good afternoon list,

I have a question how the BBT (bad block table) is stored in MTD NAND
devices. I googled for a while, and browsed the code, but I am still not
sure.

The question:
Is the BBT stored/retrieved using a spare layout? Is ECC
generation/correction done for it?

This question derives from the question above: is the BBT marker pattern
stored within a spare layout (with slots for ECC, bad block markers
etc)? Or is it written verbatim (raw and unmangled) into the spare area?

If no ECC is used for the BBT, is that for a reason?

Thanks for the information,

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam