OOB questions

Jason Liu liu.h.jason at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 22:23:45 EDT 2008

2008/10/8 Curt Scott <curt_scott at yahoo.com>:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thank you for your answers they are very helpful.  I now understand that the system I am working with is comparable to an MLC NAND system.  I have a couple more questions.
>
> Q1.) From what I can find looking around, my only option is to incorporate a NAND MLC patch (support for NOP=1), Is this my only option?
> Example (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/623/)

Jffs2 will only use oob to store the cleanmarker.You can search for a
patch with "jffs2 not use oob patch"

> Q2.) I did try and report through add_mtd_device() that mtd->oobsize=0 and mtd->oobavail=0.  After I did that, I found that the JFFS2/MTD system was calling the write/writev functions with less than a page size.
> Example:
> - write: addr=0, size=44
> - write: addr=44, size=32
>
> Is this expected behavior?

This is correct since jffs2 has one page cache machanism.

> Q3.) I have heard that it is possible to disable the OOB functionality.  Is this true?  If so, is there a way to make it work for the MLC NAND model?

Jffs2 does not support MLC nand flash if not apply some patch. I have
found two patches so far. I once use the patch with not use oob. With
this patch, jffs2 will not use oob to store cleanmarker.