Support of removable MTD devices and other advanced features (follow-up from lkml)

Alex Dubov oakad at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 09:59:18 EDT 2008

Greetings.

I was working on SmartMedia and MemoryStick support and found that some
desirable features are missing from MTD core. As the thread on lkml died out I
would like to continue it here.

First, I want to say that I'm not aiming for immediate inclusion of my code. I,
however, want to work toward target that will be acceptable by all MTD
developers.

Second, I don't want to start a flame war. I just want to hear some
suggestions, if possible.

And third, architectural switch I'm proposing should not require modification
to low level chip drivers or higher level functionality of UBI kind. They can
be glued together with relative ease (callback architecture is quite flexible).
My target is device management and FTL drivers.

Therefore, I propose (and intend to implement) a new architecture for MTD core,
modeled after the block device API. The "alpha" version of it is here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/User:Oakad/mtd_proposal