ext2 for read-only file system on UBI

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon May 19 03:54:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 17:44 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Yes, her layer is assumed to be R/W block device.
> >
> > You could want to glance here as well:
> >
> > http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/general.html#L_ext2_mtd
> > http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_ext2_over_ubi
>
> Thanks for the links. So, read-write with mtdblock is dangerous
> (regardless of UBI) because it must erase and rewrite a whole block,
> right?

Yes, and you loose plenty of data in case of power-cuts.

>  Proposed ubiblk (linked from above) would use UBI ops to make the
> update operation safe.

I have not looked that close at Nancy's patches because I did not like
her unreasonable copy-paste stuff. But I assume she would do something
like I proposed here:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2008-January/020381.html

--
Best regards,