Mounting mtd block device raises "Block device required"

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Jun 11 04:44:44 EDT 2008

Hi list,

I am successfully running kernel 2.6.21 on a custom AT91RM9200-based
board. I now updated to kernel 2.6.25 for various reasons.

Now, we use the _new_ atmel_spi driver and mtd_dataflash driver (but the
problem also exist if I use the legacy one). If I try to mount a
jffs2 or cramfs image on dataflash I get the following error:
# mount /dev/mtdblock5 /mnt/flash
mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock5 on /mnt/flash failed: Block device required

Exactly the same line works with the 2.6.21 kernel. Also doing a cat
on the normal /dev/mtd* nodes also works.

"cat /proc/devices" shows:

Block devices:
  7 loop
 31 mtdblock