JFFS2 Garbage Collection Issue

suresh at mistralsolutions.com suresh at mistralsolutions.com
Sun Jul 27 14:44:41 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am running a stress test which keeps writing to the flash on every
reboot (around 15 MB each time). After running the test for 2 days, I
see that the garbage collection takes a long time to complete (almost
65 seconds).

I disabled the garbage collection from running during bootup (and the
stress test is stopped). When I see the free space on the JFFS2
partition its much more than what it should be (we expect it to be
around 17 MB, but its 35 MB). When the JFFS2 garbage collection is
started again it comes down to 17MB. Again after a reboot its back at
35 MB (garbage collection is stopped at reboot and stress test is now
not running).

Why does the JFFS2 NOT remember the garbage collection it did the
previous time? This is affecting the application start up time in out
case.

I am using JFFS2 in 2.6.16-rc3 on OMAP5912

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Suresh