JFFS2 GC Bug?

Hinko Kocevar hinko.kocevar at cetrtapot.si
Thu Jul 24 03:48:57 EDT 2008

According to this doc not: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/jffs2.html

> Was this a bug in older kernels?

We are using 2.6.12 and 2.6.15 kernel on our embedded devices that use JFFS2 on NOR flash for rootfs. Devices are uncleanly shutdown every time, at least 3 times a day. Some devices are about 2.5 years in the wild and work as expected, while some fail to mount/use(!?) the rootfs right after the kernel has finished booting.
Right now we are testing 2.6.26 that does not fail to mount rootfs even under bigger stress tests than 2.6.12/2.6.15 kernels ever faced. Also a 'corrupt' flash that won't boot with 2.6.12/2.6.15 boots FINE with 2.6.26.

So my recommendation would be to use latest kernel sources.

my 2c,
Hinko

--
ČETRTA POT, d.o.o., Kranj