XIP Kernel freeze

Darius augulis.darius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:05:22 EDT 2008

Darius wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using XIP kernel on i.MXL board MXLADS V2.0
> This board has two 16bit NOR Flahs devices configured as one 32bit memory.
> Overall 32Mbytes Flash. Memory chips are Spansion S29PL127.
>
> kernel freezes when booting on this line from cfi_probe.c:
>
> cfi_send_gen_cmd(0xF0, 0, base, map, cfi, cfi->device_type, NULL);
> cfi_send_gen_cmd(0xFF, 0, base, map, cfi, cfi->device_type, NULL);
> --->>> cfi_send_gen_cmd(0x98, 0x55, base, map, cfi, cfi->device_type, NULL);
>
> First two commands are sent successful, but after last one kernel freezes.
> This happens almost everytime when booting kernel, but not allways.
> Sometimes, very rare, kernel is booting normaly.
> When kernel is booted successful, everything works ok - i can write and erase to and from flash memory.
>
> Where can be a problem? Is it possible that it is caused by hardware?

kernel is 2.6.26-git7
when compiling, I'm getting such warnings:

  CC      drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_probe.o
/tmp/cc4TCFuE.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc4TCFuE.s:56: Warning: ignoring changed section attributes for .data
   CC      drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_util.o
/tmp/ccisjcki.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccisjcki.s:295: Warning: ignoring changed section attributes for .data
   CC      drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.o
/tmp/cc9DRNfF.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc9DRNfF.s:1974: Warning: ignoring changed section attributes for .data
   CC      drivers/mtd/chips/gen_probe.o