Regarding NAND driver based on PrimeCell Static Memory Controller (PL350 series)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jul 14 10:26:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 03:33 -0700, Divyanshu Verma wrote:
> I am trying to implement a NAND driver for our SOC. The problem I am
> facing is that, our NAND controller does not allow me to have access to
> hardware specific control line. In other words, I cannot follow the
> mechanism given on http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/ for NAND driver
> as I cannot write  "my_nand_hwcontrol"  function. The H/w guys say that
> all this is taken care in the controller itself.
>
> I then decided to identify the NAND Chip as a MTD_BLOCK device, so that
> I  will not require any Hwcontrol function. Now for doing so, is it
> possible to write a kernel module for NAND which can use functions
> exported by mtd/mtd_blkdevs.c ?

It sounds like it isn't 'NAND' at all, as far as you're concerned. It's
a disk drive of some form. Usually these things present themselves as
IDE, so you'd use the IDE driver. If it has its own 'special' interface
then you probably want a dedicated block driver for it; nothing to do
with the MTD subsystem at all.

--
dwmw2