ioDrive by FusionIO

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Mon Jul 7 12:23:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've recently read about FusionIO [1], a startup promoting a product
called ioDrive. It attaches a couple of NAND chips to commodity servers
via PCI Express (x4). They claim reaching much higher throughput and
lower latency with their device, compared to normal SSDs, which pipe
their data through SAS or (S)ATA.

The general idea makes lots of sense to me, except that I wish they
would not only emulate a block device, but also provide an MTD
interface. (Even if the currently available file systems probably don't
cope well with the sizes they offer (claiming up to 320 GiB), yet.) (And
who knows, maybe the hardware would allow it, and one just needs to
write the drivers?)

The company looks pretty "professional", also in the rather negative
sense that they don't disclose much information about their product's
internals. Or does anybody on this list have more information about
their products? More thoughts or comments?

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://www.fusionio.com/