Slow mount of JFFS2 root file system

Lin, Bin (Bin) Bin.Lin at lsi.com
Tue Jan 22 22:03:29 EST 2008

Hi,

I was able to trace down to the location in the code that causes slow root files system mount. When the code scans through medium, most of unused area in the flash (30M of 60M bytes) is scanned as obsolete nodes:

                if (!(je16_to_cpu(node->nodetype) & JFFS2_NODE_ACCURATE)) {
                        /* Wheee. This is an obsoleted node */
                        D2(printk(KERN_DEBUG "Node at 0x%08x is obsolete. Skipping\n", ofs));
                        DIRTY_SPACE(PAD(je32_to_cpu(node->totlen)));
                        ofs += PAD(je32_to_cpu(node->totlen));
                        continue;
                }

It takes very long time to scan through all the obsolete 128 byte nodes.
The question is what causes the unused sectors being marked as obsolete?

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Ben