JFFS2 access time

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Jan 17 03:47:53 EST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, DMcLeod wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are using uClinux git 2.6.23. We have 4 2.5MB files sitting in a
> directory on a ~40MB jffs2 partition (on NOR flash). The very first time
> we do an 'ls' in that directory, the response takes literally minutes.
> After the initial delay, any accesses to those files are very

By "the first time" to you mean the first time you boot the board at all,
or the first time after each boot?

If you download a 10 MB JFFS2 image into a 40 MB partition, then JFFS2
will upon mounting erase each flash sector in the unused 30 MB area and
write cleanmarkers to it. This more or less blocks accesses to the flash
during this time. However, this only occurs the first time the system is
booted, after that, the partition is completely "JFFS2-formatted" and
there shouldn't be any further delays.

/Ricard