Slow mount of JFFS2 root file system

Lin, Bin (Bin) Bin.Lin at lsi.com
Tue Jan 15 09:22:04 EST 2008

Hello,

I have ARM9 systems with JFFS2 root file system. For some reasons, e.g.
system crash or power failure, when system boots up next time, it takes
much longer time than usual to mount jffs2 root file system. It can hang
at following message for 3-10 min. Once this happens, the mount will
take the same long time in every reboot later on. Even though it take
long time to mount root file system, the system can still come up and
function well. This problem occurred in less than 10% of boards in the
field, but can not be reproduced in the lab. I have been struggling with
this is issue for weeks.

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Fast Floating Point Emulator V0.9 (c) Peter Teichmann.

There are some symbolic links in the root file system. These links is
linked to the files in another partition. Could that cause root file
system mount problem if the file in the other partition gets corrupted?
Looks like the files in the flash are not corrupted. I guess the
corruption could be in jffs2 file system.

Anyone has seen this issue, and solution?

Appreciate very much for any input,

Ben