ubi-utils cleanup

Frank Haverkamp haver at vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jan 4 04:42:03 EST 2008

Hi Artem,

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:46 +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Hi Frank, Alex, Andreas,
>
> since UBIFS gets tried more, people start using ubi-utils more, and I
> got several feed-backs about how untidy mtd-utils,git is, and ubi-utils
> are untidy as well.
>
> May you please help me cleaning them up a little? We should re-structure
> the repo a bit to start of. I've added few ideas into the ubi-utils/TODO
> file.

> First of, we should separate out UBI tests from ubi-utils and move them
> to tests/ubi-tests. Then we should separate-out the tools which are
> NAND-related - indeed, what do they do in ubi-utils? They should go to
> nand-tools, and stuff like nanddump and nandwrite should go to
> nand-tools as well.

nand2bin and bin2nand are of the same kind and not UBI dependend. To be
more widely used, those tools need more flexibility where the ECC data
is placed in the OOB. Currently it is pretty much hard-coded for the
layout we are using.

I have nothing against relocating the tools to other directories. What I
like to keep are working install and uninstall rules with the
possibility to define an individual install directory.

> Since most of the stuff in ubi-utils were make by your team, I kindly
> ask you to help with re-structuring them.

Alex is busy with his thesis, I doubt that he can help much. I will try
to follow the discussion and contribute small things if my time permits
it. Please take my colleague Monte Copeland on CC. I don't know how much
time he has, but he is currently responsible for our internal UBI usage.

Regards

Frank

--
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter