Block Device Emulation over UBI

Vinit Agnihotri vinit.agnihotri at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:46:47 EST 2008

Few months back I raised same question here &
I got nice replies from Artem.I am not able to found that discussion in my
mail box though :( & even not able to recall much of it.
However Artem said writing block device driver on top of UBI volume is same as
implementing FTL on it, basically its re-inventing the wheel. Probably Artem
can answer you well :-).

--Vinit.

On Jan 14, 2008 4:57 AM, Yuri Tikhonov <yur at emcraft.com> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
>  We are about to implement and then maintain a block device driver which is
> intended to work on the top of UBI and provide users with the block-device
> interface to the underlying Flash chips. The goal of this driver is to
> provide users with the possibility to easily organize reliable file storage
> in Flash memory chips (especially NAND Flash) using Flash-unaware
> file-systems like FAT, EXT2/3, etc (UBI is supposed to provide the necessary
> reliability using its features of wear-leveling and bad blocks handling).
>
>  In many cases the ability to have the file-system formatted with, for
> example, FAT is a highly desirable feature of the embedded devices (e.g. for
> exporting the embedded storage via USB link to a Windows-based USB host), so
> we guess our work will be usefull for the embedded world.
>
>  Any suggestions or comments as to possible issues we may run into on this
> road would be very appreciated.
>
>  Regards, Yuri
>
> --
> Yuri Tikhonov, Senior Software Engineer
> Emcraft Systems, www.emcraft.com

Life is so short. So, follow some rules. Forgive quickly, believe
slowly, love truly, laugh loudly & never avoid anything that makes U
smile.