[MTD/NAND] Blackfin NFC driver DMA bug ?

Ivan Djelic ivan.djelic at parrot.com
Thu Feb 21 12:58:49 EST 2008

Hello All,

While working on a NAND flash MTD driver, I came across the following piece of
code in the Blackfin bf5xx NAND flash controller driver:

>From linux-2.6.24.2, file bf5xx_nand.c:418, function bf5xx_nand_dma_rw():

	/*
	 * Before starting a dma transfer, be sure to invalidate/flush
	 * the cache over the address range of your DMA buffer to
	 * prevent cache coherency problems. Otherwise very subtle bugs
	 * can be introduced to your driver.
	 */
	if (is_read)
		invalidate_dcache_range((unsigned int)buf,
				(unsigned int)(buf + page_size));
	else
		flush_dcache_range((unsigned int)buf,
				(unsigned int)(buf + page_size));

Since 'buf' is allocated outside MTD, are we allowed to assume it is
cache-aligned ? Because if it's not, invalidating dcache on read is not enough
to prevent cache coherency problems. For instance, a cache line partially
spanning across the buffer address range could be flushed just after DMA has
completed, corrupting DMA data in the process...
Or am I missing something, since I am not familiar with the Blackfin arch ?

Thanks,

Ivan