Block devices

Indraneel indraneel.m at samsung.com
Thu Feb 21 04:40:09 EST 2008

David,
First things first. Don't post to multiple mailing lists at the same time.

David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
>     Sometime recently it seems to have become possible to disable the
> whole block device subsystem.

Yes it is possible. Works for me on 2.6.22-rc5.

>     Though in my tests I can't quit build with it disabled.
>
>      Anyway, for an embedded device this might be appealing.
>     how does this interact with initramfs and flash ?
>
>     Can I boot an initramfs kernel without a block device ?

Yes this is also possible. And that's why initramfs is fast.

>     Can I write a filesystem driver for a flash device that does not
> require a block device ?

AFAIK, for a flash file system you need a Block Device. But you can
write a character driver to access the flash without a Block Device.

>     Are their any examples of something even close ?

  drivers/mtd/mtdchar.c

Regards,
Indro