Redboot FIS entry upgrade from Linux

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Feb 13 23:30:35 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 06:31:20PM +0200, Jacob Avraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Say I have a zImage or ramdisk image as a file listed in FIS,
> which I use to  "fis load" from Redboot.
> Now I want to upgrade an image from Linux, so in addition to
> writing into the specific mtd partition I need to update the FIS
> directory entry checksum value.
>
> Are there any utils to facilitate that?
> Or maybe such where not developed because it's not a good idea?

(Sorry, I'm a bit behind on this list.)

There's a utility here which can modify the RedBoot FIS table:
http://svn.chezphil.org/utils/trunk/fis.c

I added support for updating the checksums. You can get my patch here:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/buildroot/package/fis/fis-001-checksum.patch?rev=20951&view=auto

Like you, I update the kernel/initrd from linux then use fis to update
the checksums so that RedBoot will still load the image.

Hamish