Filling RAM

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Feb 6 02:48:22 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, DMcLeod wrote:

> I am seeing that as files are created, their approximate size is
> subtracted from the available memory. For example, assume I have /home
> mounted from /dev/mtdblock2, which is a jffs2 filesystem on NOR flash.
> ]# cd /home
> ]# grep MemFree /proc/meminfo
> 22588 kB

MemFree in /proc/meminfo is not a good indicator of how much available
memory there is to the system. Linux tends to gobble up memory for file
buffers etc, freeing them on an as-needed basis. IIUC MemFree principally
indicates how much memory has never been touched, not how much is actually
available.

/Ricard