[U-Boot] U-Boot and UBI

Kyungmin Park kmpark at infradead.org
Mon Aug 11 01:18:53 EDT 2008

Dear Josh,

First thank you for announcing UBI support on U-boot.

Actually the Samsung implemented the UBI support on U-boot already and
has used it internally. The big difference is the code base. It's
based on kernel UBI code. Yes it's not fit well to u-boot ecosystem so
it created the ubi wrapper for u-boot.

I saw your source codes and ubi commands. I think it supports minimal
features of UBI, no volume create, remove, read/write and so on like
these.

u-boot $ help ubi
ubi info [l[ayout]] - Display volume and ubi layout information
ubi create[vol] volume [size] [type] - create volume name with size
ubi write[vol] address volume size - Write volume from address with size
ubi read[vol] address volume [size] - Read volume to address with size
ubi remove[vol] volume - Remove volume
[Legends]
 volume: character name
 size: KiB, MiB, GiB, and bytes
 type: s[tatic] or d[ynamic] (default=dynamic)

I want to know what's the better way if there are two code bases.

Please give any options and comments

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park

P.S., we will post the patches ASAP