flash_info and MEMGETREGIONCOUNT

hartleys hartleys at visionengravers.com
Tue Aug 5 14:22:38 EDT 2008

On Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:06 AM, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know some info about the flash chip present
> on the board. I found flash_info utility and can't seem to
> get information about the region count with MEMGETREGIONCOUNT.
> # /flash_info /dev/mtd0
> Device /dev/mtd0 has 0 erase regions
> # /flash_info /dev/mtd1
> Device /dev/mtd1 has 0 erase regions
> # /flash_info /dev/mtd2
> Device /dev/mtd2 has 0 erase regions

I get the same results on my system. I'm not sure what "flash_info" is
actually meant for.

Try the mtd_debug utility instead and see if that information is more
helpful. Here's a sample output from one of my mtd partitions:

/ # mtd_debug info /dev/mtd0
mtd.type = MTD_NORFLASH
mtd.flags = MTD_WRITEABLE | MTD_BIT_WRITEABLE
mtd.size = 262144 (256K)
mtd.erasesize = 131072 (128K)
mtd.writesize = 1
mtd.oobsize = 0
regions = 0

BTW, the regions = 0 is why the flash_info utility reports 0 erase
regions.

Hartley